Saturday, June 13, 2009

Lion Stout


Hey all, had this one a few weeks ago... Lion Stout from Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited of Sri Lanka I was waiting to write a review on this until their web site was up (under construction) but can wait no longer as I want to try another one. Lion stout was pretty good and very dark. I was unable to see any light through my glass as I held it up to the light. It has a medium tan size head that fades quickly. When I took my first sip, I noticed a taste of chocolate and coffee. Deep ruby black in color with a tan lacing in my glass. Hints of toffee and vanilla as well. I found this one very nice and easy to drink with 8% alcohol. It's full of flavor and if you can find a bottle, try it.

I did splurge on a case of Mexican beer (which you can find at Sam's Club) for 20 bucks... not a bad price. It has 4 different kinds of Mexican beer, 6 bottles each. First of all is SOL http://www.sol-beer.co.uk/home.html. Sol was first made just outside of Mexico city in 1899 and was named El Sol which is Spanish for the Sun. In 1924 by popular demand 2 breweries were needed and the name was changed to just Sol. It's really not a very good beer by beer standards but I first had this one in Acapulco so it reminds me of that. On a hot 90 degree day, a ice cold Sol is pretty good. You could just drink a domestic and you wouldn't know the difference! Second in the Mexican beer pack is Tecate from Tecate in the Mexican state of Baja California. Nothing special here but you do get that Mexican taste... if you put salt and lime on the rim of the bottle.

Third and Fourth is Dos Equis lager and amber... you know the commercials of the Most Interesting Man in the World...
Yeah, I hate those commercials too! The beer is good and actually Dos Equis Amber is the first Mexican beer I had. I stayed with my brother at his apartment in the Twin Cities and he bought some for us...Long time ago! In Acapulco you couldn't get the Amber and I was told that it was an import beer only. You could only get the green bottle which is the Lager. These two are my favorite of the pack but I must say I still like Corona the best with no Lime. Yes you may think I'm crazy but that's the way we had it on the beach as the limes were really bad. So for Mexican beer this pack is not bad, not great.

No comments: